I hope you are well and that you will be receptive to my request to include the Josephson Institute of Ethics in your year-end giving. Your tax-deductible donation will support our CHARACTER COUNTS!, Pursuing Victory With Honor, and Exemplary Policing programs to help us train, provide resources, and conduct research to inspire and empower educators, coaches, public officials, and law enforcement professionals who seek to teach and model good character.
These are tumultuous times, and from a character and ethics point of view, it seems that the challenges are mounting. This makes the need for the Institute’s pro-active and practical efforts to improve the ethical quality of society greater than ever. The Institute’s priorities for 2017 are to:
- Reduce physical and cyber bullying in schools.
- Introduce faith-based versions of CHARACTER COUNTS! to religious schools to bulwark their efforts to instill core values and positive character traits.
- Restore civility and honesty in our political campaigns through training, research, and advocacy.
- Infuse the Six Pillars of Character into policing practices and assist police agencies and communities form strong bonds of mutual trust and respect.
In 2016 we have substantially enhanced the CHARACTER COUNTS! 5.0 student development program and the Josephson Institute’s programs for public officials and law enforcement professionals by:
- Developing new training materials and resources to improve school climate.
- Creating daily student workbooks and an enhanced student agenda keyed to the Model Standards of Academic, Social, Emotional and Character Development.
- Completely revising our pursuing Victory With Honor training to incorporate the strategies introduced last year in CHARACTER COUNTS! 5.0.
- Developing an integrated faith-based version of CHARACTER COUNTS! for a cadre of Catholic Schools in Philadelphia.
- Consulting with the University of Pennsylvania’s athletic program to create a state-of-the-art sports program that teaches leadership and develops character.
- Spreading CHARACTER COUNTS! strategies globally, including character development workshops for top educators in South Korea (at the request of the U.S. State Department).
- Conducting a mandatory ethics-based seminar for the Indiana Legislature (sponsored by the Council of State Governments) and presenting a ‘Civility in Politics’ workshop in Iowa (sponsored by Drake University’s Robert D. Ray Center).
- Launching the Exemplary Policing Initiative to assist the law enforcement community improve policing practices and community relations (JosephsonsExemplaryPolicing.org).
- Conducting a survey of issues and attitudes in law enforcement with Golden West College’s Criminal Justice Training CenterandLeadership & Ethics Institute.
- Assessing the Fresno Police Department and submitting a report to police and city leadership.
- Conducting ethics workshops for the Culver City and University of California at Santa Barbara Police Departments and for delegations of top police officials from the Republic of Kyrgyzstan and the State of Palestine.
I sincerely hope this explanation justifies your donation and encourages your continuing support in the future.
Please send checks to:
The Josephson Institute
8117 W. Manchester Avenue #830
Playa del Rey, CA 90293
If you give whatever you can, we will do whatever we can to make a better world for all of us.
President, Josephson Institute of Ethics